Everyone Struggles at First

 Woodworking is something everyone can do, but few take on the hobby because it requires a lot of patience. In my own personal experience, I have struggled with several projects that have tested my patience and skill. To become a woodworker is to fight the frustration caused by woodworking and use your failures as lessons. There is a great quote I read once that stated “Woodworking minus patience equals firewood” -Anonymous. This quote hit home for me in the sense that I have had projects go from furniture to firewood within hours. This quote also reminds me that I am not the only one who has struggled with projects. The goal is to keep on trucking! Not all projects are display-worthy at first, but eventually they will be.

Along with patience, prepping is a vital skill to learn as a beginning wood worker. Abraham Lincoln once said, “give me six hours to chop down a tree and I’ll spend the first four sharpening my axe.” I found this quote a little too late for one of my projects. About a year ago I decided to build my own mantle for the fireplace in my living room. Creating the design was difficult. I had it all planned out, but it seemed like all my cuts were off and everything was just not fitting together. After finally getting the mantle put together and perfect, I went to stain. I didn’t pre-sand the wood or anything and after applying the first coat, I realized that the board I chose had an imperfection that was enhanced with the stain. I sanded and sanded but the imperfection absorbed the stain like no other causing me to have to replace the whole board. If I had done some prep work on the boards, I would have noticed the imperfection and saved myself so much time and effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impact Drill vs Regular Drill

A Review of the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

What If Woodworking Was the Key to Education?