5 Favorite Projects to Make With Lath

5 favorite projects to make with Lath.

One of my favorite pieces of wood to work with is lath boards. You can find them in the wood section, and they come in a bundle of 50 and they are about ¼ inch thick 1 ½ inch wide and 4ft long boards. The first time I was introduced to lath was on a construction site with my father. I was helping him remove the lath and plaster from an old house to reinsulate and sheetrock. The lath was so beautiful. It had been hidden within the walls of this home for over 50 years and I had just fallen in love with all the character each board had. All the lath was going to be burned so I took a bunch home and had so much fun with it. Here is a list of my favorite projects to date that I have made with lath.

5. Picture Frame

By far, the easiest projects to make with lath is a picture frame. You simply take your favorite boards and cut a 45-degree angle on each side, add some glue, and pocket holes to the back to attach them together.

4. Piano Bench

My first project I ever did with lath is to repurpose an old piano bench I had in storage. I took the old lath pieces I got from the constructions site and simply cleaned them up, but not too much to lose their rustic charm, and nailed them to the top of the bench. Added a frame around the edge and sealed the whole top with multiple coats of clear coat for a smooth finish.

3. Side Table Top

I absolutely love turning an old piece of furniture into an art piece! Taking a simple side table and adding the lath to the top in a decorative design really transforms a piece into something amazing!

2. Aztec Art

Wall art is simply the best use of lath. The boards are so thin, so they don’t have much stability for building, but this makes them extremely easy to work with for creating wall art. I love the Aztec art you can make with these. It’s almost like a puzzle that has unlimited solutions.

1. Mountain Art

My favorite by far is creating pieces into mountain art. I love how this design can open up your creativity with all sorts of colors. The cuts are very easy and don’t require much, if any, complicated angles.

I hope after reading this blog, you all will try to make your own project with lath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impact Drill vs Regular Drill

A Review of the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

What If Woodworking Was the Key to Education?