Put Down The Paint Brush

 

One thing that I have seen become extremely popular these days is painting wood furniture. For some reason, this just really irks me. I do understand why some of these projects get painted, like if the piece is veneered and flaking and they want to save it without redoing the whole piece, but I honestly think it has gone too far.

I follow this group on Facebook that claims to be a group for furniture flippers but honestly the only flipping I see is when they turn it over to coat the bottom side. I mean it when I say they paint EVERYTHING! Oak, hickory, pine, ash, you name it, they paint it. This style of furniture flipping really breaks my heart. As a person who loves wood and admires all the different groves and textures wood grains bring to the piece, I just hate to see them covered up by a dull gray paint.

There is even a new style of painting where you take a piece of wood furniture and paint it a neutral color, and then you take this glaze and apply it over the paint. You then take a brush or broom and sweep lines into the glaze to give it a wood grain look (eyes rolling).

Don’t get me wrong, I have painted wood before. The wood I painted was the nineties wood trim in my house, but I did compliment it by adding an engineered hardwood flooring throughout my house. I just wish this trend would fade and all the beautiful antique furniture be kept in their original glory.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impact Drill vs Regular Drill

A Review of the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

What If Woodworking Was the Key to Education?