Handmade Wood Cutting boards


Woodworking is a craft many can do but only a few become excellent at. When amateurs in the field start gluing boards together and selling them for high prices as decorative pieces, it slums up the market for those who are skilled enough in the business and rely on it for their income. For example, wood cutting boards have been around for decades, maybe even centuries. But recently, with the growing population of DIYers on the internet, everyone thinks they can glue these boards together and they are fricken master pieces. The problem is that they are inexperienced and don’t know what they are actually doing. These people are combining soft and hard woods because they are pretty but soft woods are not ideal for cutting boards. I have also seen people combine woods that have not acclimated to their environment properly. These boards then warp and cause the cutting board to be all wonky and not sit right. When this happens you end up with a $50+ piece of wood that is warped. I currently have one of these in my kitchen that was given to me. I can not use the cutting board because it is lopsided and frankly so annoying to use. Yes, these boards are pretty and look good on a shelf, but I am more in to practical. I don’t want something on my shelf that has no purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impact Drill vs Regular Drill

A Review of the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

What If Woodworking Was the Key to Education?