My Favorite Carpenter

The person I learned nearly all my carpentry skills from is my father, Rodney. I have been on job sites with him since I was 6 years old. He started doing carpentry work nearly 40 years ago and fell in love with the independence the job brings as well as the variety of projects you get to tackle. He really enjoys working with his hands and creating things. Before he started working in carpentry, he did it as a hobby, which started after taking some classes in high school. Although he started working as a carpenter in the 80’s, he did not start his own company until the early 2000’s. From when he initially started doing woodwork to the point of owning his own business, he wore many hats. A couple of those hats are those of an electrician and a framer. He has been able to combine all of his learned skills into a one-man super team where he is able to frame a house, wire it, sheetrock, install flooring, cabinetry, and tile. You name the project, and he has probably done it! A few questions I asked Rodney were:

Me: What is your favorite thing to build?

Rodney: Framing a house. It is fun to watch all the walls come together into a structure.

Me: what is your favorite tool?

Rodney: the brand Skilsaw’s circular saw. I can do almost anything with my Skilsaw.

Me: Any advice for beginner carpenters?

Rodney: Have patience, mistakes can always be fixed. You must use good materials the better grades produce better results. It is easier to construct something if all the boards are straight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impact Drill vs Regular Drill

A Review of the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

What If Woodworking Was the Key to Education?